November 26, 2013

November 26, special knitting

Today I tried to finish at least one mitt for my father in law. The black one did fit (to my surprise) but it needed more length. I also added brown, these are the colors left over from the crochet remembrance bear I made for him (and his grandchildren) in loving memory of his wife who died 6 months ago.
I looked up what a magic loop in knitting was and then tried it (knitting with two short circulars rather than one long one because I couldn't find it). When I tried to make a nice pattern with brown and black and at the same time knit 2, purl 1, I discovered a nice, colorful touch. What was intended was the row as it became above (alternating black and brown) but the loops in front were worth having at the right side.
This is how far I was with the first mitt when it was just light enough to make a photo, in the meantime I knitted the second one and only need to finish the tumbs (and full it).
If you would like to try this stitch (I haven't read about it before, but undoubtely it has a name and history already): The first 3 rows are knit 2, purl 1 in black. Then knit 1 in black, attach brown and knit the stitch, then take the brown yarn to the front. Knit 2 black, take the brown yarn to the back and knit 1 stitch, then again to the front. Repeat all the way round.

1 comment:

  1. Your work is beautiful! I love the bears and the design on this mitten is lovely. I knew how to knit many years ago, but wonder if I would remember now. In any case I would not be able to do anything as complicated as these items!

    ReplyDelete

Want to reply? Leave me a message in a reaction and I will get back to you